What is IPM?
Integrated pest management ( IPM) is a decision making process for determining what actions to take when pest problems occur. The focus is on creating an environment that is ideal for healthy, sustainable turfgrass, while at the same time inhibiting insects, weeds and disease.
Our IPM programs implement all available information and treatment methods in order to manage pest problems effectively, economically and in an environmentally sound manner.
What Does an IPM Program Involve?
Our IPM programs involve the following steps to ensure a healthy lawn, and to also reduce or eliminate the need for pesticides.
- We educate our customers on how to water and mow their lawn in order to create a healthy lawn capable of out competing weeds, tolerating moderate insect feeding and rapidly recovering from any turfgrass disease.
- We monitor the insect populations in your area, making note of the size of the population as well as the stage of their current lifecycles. This allows us to forecast potential insect infestations and prepare for them.
- If the insect or weed populations exceed, or are forecasted to exceed an acceptable threshold limits, then control applications are recommended or scheduled.
- We implement a variety of techniques to reduce weed infestation, such as modifying irrigation and mowing methods to prevent weed establishment, seasonally adjust fertilizers to minimize weed seed germination, and recommend overseeding to introduce new, robust cultivars of turfgrass capable of competing against any newly established weeds.
- Weeds are treated using injector systems which allow the spot treatment of weeds and a significant reduction in herbicide use. Applicators are trained and certified in the safe handling and application of these products.
- Our programs involve regular visits which allow the evaluation of our service and also allow the modification of a program to improve results or deal with any new insect, disease or weed infestation.
Our goal is create a beautiful, healthy landscape for you to live in, using the most advanced techniques available.
What Do Our IPM Programs Look Like?
Our IPM programs vary across Canada and the U.S. depending upon the local climate, soil type, grass types and prevalent insects, weeds and disease. We also offer different programs to suit your budget and personal landscape goals.
In general, the programs consist of four to seven treatments and/or inspections over a full season.
Each treatment or inspection occurs about every 4 - 6 weeks.
Weeds are treated using injector systems which allow spot treatment of the weeds while significantly reducing herbicide use and exposure.
Insect controls are applied when populations exceed, or are forecasted to exceed acceptable threshold levels.
Free service calls are offered on all our program offerings in order to ensure good program performance and high customer satisfaction.
Kelp Biostimulants are commonly offered to assist in summer drought tolerance and recovery.
Core aeration is also commonly included in our premium programs because of the dramatic effects it can offer.